Wildlife gardening | liberating logs

Having wildlife in the garden is super important to me. I have lots of birds throughout the colder months and a few resident squirrels all year round. I can't even describe the joy they bring. HOURS have been lost at the window - usually when I have something else to be doing.

Dragonflies visited the pond last Summer, which had me literally squealing with delight. Lots of butterflies and bees came and went, including some leaf-cutters. I saw a few bats in the evenings, too! Our Ring doorbell camera has even caught a fox outside the front of the bungalow, but it's yet to venture into the back garden.

I suspect I'll never think I have enough wildlife...

Why have a log pile?

For some time now, I've been thinking that a little log pile would serve the garden well. Decaying wood attracts all kinds of creepy crawlies, and those creepy crawlies attract larger wildlife such as frogs, birds, and hedgehogs. The issue I was facing was that:

A. I didn't know where to do it

B. I don't have any logs

I've constantly been thinking about where I can do it. A few articles online said that I could just have logs randomly strewn around the flower beds. I'm certainly up for doing this. I'm sure I could make it work, but it's not a "pile". 

I decided that the little mound of dirt behind the arbour would be an ideal gap for a few little logs. I've been throwing leaves and twigs behind it anyway. However, I still didn't have any logs!

I was walking the dogs a few days ago when I saw a log laying on the ground. I assume the wind had something to do with it. I picked it up, but it was too heavy, especially when I had the dogs to walk home with. I wondered whether I could motivate myself to walk back to try and carry it. I have an injured shoulder at the moment, so it wasn't the best idea I've ever had. Then I saw it. Not what I'd call a log, but a thick branch. I stood staring at it for a while and eventually picked it up. Definitely easier to carry than the first one, and a lot longer. It wasn't an easy journey home, but we got there. Me, two dogs, and my branch. The next day, I found another branch, and of course, carried it home; looking a little less like Gandalf this time.

Returning home with my branches

Making a log pile

I knew my log pile wouldn't be an enormous, or even big, assembly. But, any is better than none, right? And you've got to start somewhere!

My two branches became eight pieces. I half-buried the bottom ones and organised the rest on top. I then remembered the giant sunflowers I'd chopped down a few days earlier. All of the seeds had been eaten, and they were looking worse for wear, so I'd snapped them off and noticed that they were hollow towards the bottom. Perfect for bugs! So, I fished one out of the green bin and added that.


The next day was Sunday, so I recruited my partner for the dog walk. He carried the original log I'd seen home, and I picked a small one up and popped it in a carrier bag. I told him that I'd saw it the next day, but he said he thought it would break naturally if he dropped it, whilst dropping it. He was right. ðŸ˜‚

I've been out this morning and (re)arranged my pile. I am now wondering whether attracting wood-eating bugs to an area underneath a wooden structure is wise... But, it's there for now, and it makes me happy! I'm sure I'll liberate many more pieces of tree to throw around the garden and to add to my pile. 

This is just the beginning...

Log pile








Comments