'Tis the season to be seed sowing!

I'd decided fruit and veg weren’t happening in my garden this year. I've filled all of my borders with bulbs, and plan to sow seeds directly into the ground wherever possible so as not to disturb them. We're hoping to rent some land on the other side of our garden fence, but due to some building works happening on our estate, we can't rent it yet. The plan is to grow fruit and veg over that side when the time comes.  

Sowing seeds

I opened my files to find out what seeds I can FINALLY sow on February 19th. Yes, my seed files… So, I'm pleased to report that the first seeds I've sown this year are:

  • Gazania (birthday present)
  • Rudbeckia (free with Gardener's World subscription)
  • Verbena (free from one of the RHS flower shows)
  • Tomatoes (I couldn't help myself)
  • Peppers (I know, I know) 

Just 4 days later, tomato seedlings appeared, along with a few Gazania, and LOTS of Rudbeckia.

12 days later, a pepper!

A wildflower patch

I got a bit carried away on the 27th of Feb, and now I have a brand new bean-shaped bed for wildflowers. I tried to sow some directly into the lawn last year, but nothing came up. I decided I wanted to try again after preparing the ground. It doesn't have a lot of depth, so I've had to pile some soil/compost on. I want to put some Gladioli in the centre for height, so I need to make it deeper there. I have some foxglove seedlings for the middle too. I've plonked a few pansy seedlings around the edges, and the rest I plan to just scatter wildflower seeds over. 


I don't actually have a lot of room left in my windowsill to start anything off indoors. I have some lily of the valley on the windowsill because I wanted them to have a good strong start in the hope they'll flower this year. There's a bleeding heart there too. I bought one last year and snapped it when putting it in the ground. I got a second one when they were dying back and put it in a pot, looking forward to its show this year. A squirrel dug out the centre of the pot! My mum got me two for my birthday. I've put one outside and one in the window "just in case". I've since noticed that the one I snapped last year has actually sprung into life in the pot I dumped it in, in the hope that some miracle would happen. I even found the second one I bought jammed into the side of the pot the squirrel had emptied! So, maybe there will be four?! 

Up next, March sowing!

Comments