Celebrating British Tomato Fortnight!

What is British Tomato Fortnight?

Just a quick one from me in celebration of British tomato fortnight; 23rd May – 5th June 2022. A celebration of tomatoes created by British Tomato Growers Association. The website this year says:

British Tomato Fortnight is back! And this year, celebrations will have a decidedly regal theme. From 23 May until 5 June 2022, we’ll mark peak tomato season in the UK with our annual two-week celebration of the deliciously juicy, marvellously nutritious toms we grow in Britain.

Check out their social media if you're interested. 

My tomato growing history

Last year was my first year attempting to grow tomatoes, but, I totally underestimated the many little beasties competing with me for my delicious harvest! I didn't grow from seed. I did sow a few, but nothing came up! I got tomatoes from one plant out of the four that I bought from the garden centre! It was by no means a bumper crop, but, I loved it because of the nostalgia. I remember visiting my grandma and grandad as a child on their allotment. On arrival, I'd be given the salt pot from their caravan and sent to the greenhouse to munch to my heart's content!

Sowing tomatoes this year

This year, I sowed in Feb, and excitedly watched them grow. I couldn't believe how fast they were growing! I got more than I bargained for because I was expecting a poor germination rate, based on last year! Instead, all of them germinated! I don't have the heart to throw something once it's put its energy into coming to life, so I gave some away. 

2022 tomato growing

They began to look a bit feeble in early May, and I debated whether to repot or harden them off. However, they were also beginning to outgrow the windowsill, so the decision was made to start hardening them off. I bought growbags but was unimpressed with the depth. I wanted to plant them deep to give them more rooting space. I then discovered plant halos, and quickly bought some! I'm pleased to report that they're now out in their growhouses and doing well. So much for not growing any food this year! We already have; radishes, tomatoes, peppers, french beans, courgettes, potatoes, rhubarb and strawberries!

I recently realised I have a problem. I sowed from two seed packets. In the excitement, I didn't take any notice of what type of tomato I was sowing - ‍#RookieError. 🤦 Turns out one type of tomato is a bush tomato, and the other a cordon. As I understand it, I need to remove the side shoots/suckers from cordon tomatoes to stop energy being wasted on growing them - giving me a better yield. On the bush tomatoes, removing side shoots equals removing fruiting stems - decreasing my yield. I did some research, and I think, based on the appearance of my plants, what remains with me are all cordon tomatoes!

I learned something this year. Always individually label pots!






Comments